WHAT MATTERS IN ACHIEVING GOOD HEALTH?
DIET AND EXERCISE
80% of health status is determined by
specifically these three things:
- Low BMI: recommended below 25 for males, 23 for females,
- regular intense cardiovascular and strength training exercise (see below)
- abstinence from smoking/drugs/alcohol
(Health care is far less important for health status - less than 20%).
PHILOSOPHY OF EXERCISE
The main components are CARDIOVASCULAR and STRENGTH training. Both are clearly associated with improved health outcomes. Both improve mood and appearance. Contrary to popular belief, neither is beneficial for weight loss which is achieved virtually entirely from decreased food consumption. (Stretching btw has not been shown to enhance health except in special circumstances)
Heart rate elevation through production of an “oxygen debt” is key.
Usually the most efficient way to do this with the least trauma to your joints is through a custom elliptical workout we have designed (see video)
- DO NOT BEGIN THE WORKOUT DESCRIBED BELOW WITHOUT CLEARANCE FROM YOUR DOCTOR.
- ALSO, THE HEART RATE TARGETS WILL NOT APPLY IF YOU ARE TAKING BETA BLOCKERS OR MANY OTHER HEART DRUGS.
- STOP THE WORKOUT IMMEDIATELY IF YOU HAVE CHEST PAIN, STOMACH PAIN SHORTNESS OF BREATH, WHEEZING, LIGHT HEADEDNESS OR OTHER SYMPTOMS.
- THIS IS A HIGH INTENSITY WORKOUT ONLY FOR INDIVIDUALS WISHING TO ACHIEVE A VERY HIGH FITNESS LEVEL - COMPARABLE TO WHAT IS ACHIEVED FROM AN INTENSE RUNNING PROGRAM.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR BEGINNING THE WORKOUT
- Use a heart rate monitor
- Resistance should be low to medium, no incline elevation of the elliptical, no use of moving arm pieces, you should be leaning forward and supported.
- Subtract your age from 220, the difference is your approximate maximum heart rate
- Begin with a 3 minute workout elevating your heart rate to 80% of calculated maximum As an example, A 50 year old should achieve 220 - 50 = 170. 170 x 80% = 136 by the 3 minute mark
- Wait 48 hours. Workout for 3 minutes achieving 136 then sprint for a 4th minute
- Wait 48 hours. 3 minutes then sprint for 2 minutes, total 5 minutes
- Wait 48 hours. 3 minutes then sprint for 3 minutes total 6 minutes
- Repeat this pattern until you get up to 15 minutes
You should get up to 100% of your calculated maximum by the 6 minute mark, then keep it there until you get to 15 minutes. You may find that your true maximum heart rate is faster than your calculated one and can use it instead for your targets. You may also find that your maximum heart rate increases as you pursue this workout.
- We have devised a workout consisting of 6 exercises which strengthen upper body muscles including stomach crunches for core strengthening. This is a shoulder friendly workout since the most common cause of pain with working out is in the shoulder from irritating the rotator cuff. Please see the video on our website showing how to properly perform these exercises. The key is keeping your elbows relatively tight against your body, and not moving your arms too far behind your body
- SET/REPS: The first set should be 15 reps at a moderate weight. The second set should be 30 reps with as heavy a weight as you can manage and still do 30 reps. The third set should be 20 reps with as heavy a weight as you can manage and still do 20 reps.
- FREQUENCY: Always skip one or two days between workouts, never on consecutive days. Ideal frequency is two to three times per week.
WEIGHT LOSS AND WEIGHT CONTROL PRINCIPLES
- Contrary to what you have heard, Weight loss is NOT achieved through exercise. Exercise is critically important for good health but does not contribute to weight loss except in extreme cases such as marathoners. In fact exercise is an appetite stimulant
- Weight loss is achieved only by PORTION CONTROL – eating less. What you eat is far less important than eating small amounts.
- INTERMITTENT FASTING: is perhaps the most successful tool for weight loss - usually eating only one meal per day. Nothing bad happens from not eating. Animals go days, weeks and months between meals in the wild. The human animal is programmed the same say. In fact fasting increases your stem cell levels.
- WATER FASTING: eating nothing but water for 1 or 2 weeks is a great way to lose ten or 20 pounds. Excellent water fasting retreats exist at TRUE NORTH and BALANCE FOR LIFE
- KETO DIET: is the other highly successful diet strategy
- YOU ARE GOING TO BE HUNGRY – learn to deal with it. Adults who eat until satiated become overweight and obese. You must eat progressively less the older you get or you will gain weight. The reward is being healthy, looking good, feeling good, and living longer.
- Your target BMI should be under 25 for males, under 23 for females
- YOU MUST WEIGH YOURSELF EVERY DAY (AT THE SAME TIME): if you are not losing weight you will know to eat less that day or the next day.